Ihssane is advocating for Universal Family Care, a Green New Deal and Medicare for All as part of her advocacy for a family-first governing agenda. As we continue conversations around the district, we are building our policy platform with the people. We want your ideas and input! Check out Ihssane’s agenda below and please share what issues matter most to you using the form at the bottom of this page.
Ihssane’s Justice Agenda
A Right to Grow and Age
Ensuring all our children can fulfill their potential and all elders can age with dignity
+ Universal Family Care
Every parent and child in every zip code should have all the resources they need to meet their fullest potential.
- Perinatal care investments
- Baby bundles to supply parents with the most important items for a child’s first month at home
- Baby bonds to close the racial wealth gap
- 36 weeks of paid leave for new parents (including adoptive and foster parents)
- Free and high-quality universal childcare
- High-quality universal pre-K
- Free school meals
- Child allowance
Every child has the right to a quality education that develops them as people and equips them to pursue a field of their choice.
- New funding for public schools
- Support for diversifying staff and teachers
- End to high-stakes standardized testing
- Fair pay for our teachers
- Race to the Top for desegregation
- Student debt cancellation
- Free public college and higher education
- Revamped and destigmatized vocational schools for our workforce
Every person has a right to housing, emergency shelter as needed, and a community which is healthier when everyone is safely housed.
- New social housing
- Housing-first programs to address homelessness and housing insecurity
- End segregation and control rents through zoning reform and expanded affordable housing supply
- Close the racial wealth gap through affirmative policies and funding for redlined neighborhoods and black homebuyers
+ Single-Payer Healthcare
It’s time to end the greed of for-profit care. We will guarantee quality healthcare as a right, ending medical bankruptcies and prescription rationing.
- Medicare for All
- New investments in healthcare in underserved communities
- Funding reform to guarantee racial and gender equity in treatment
- Address high rates of maternal mortality, particularly among black women
- Fight the greed of big pharma and control out-of-control drug costs
+ Dignity for Seniors
Everyone caring for their aging parents, as well as aging seniors without families to care for them, should be guaranteed an environment that maintains their dignity and the right to age in the community of their choice.
- Expand Social Security and Medicare and protect Medicaid
- Fight privatization of Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid
- Community-based long-term supportive services
- Equitable compensation for adult care-givers
- Intergenerational housing
A Just Society
Reinvigorating our democracy, prioritizing the voices and needs of the marginalized, and protecting the vulnerable
+ Democracy and Campaign Finance
Ihssane pledges to reject all corporate PAC money, both in her campaign and in office.
- Protect voting rights including for the incarcerated
- End gerrymandering with competitive multi-member districts
- Implement ranked-choice voting
- Stop the revolving door
- Ban Super PACs
- Publicly finance and cap spending on elections
- Diversify congressional staff
- Provide the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico with voting representation
+ Racial Justice
We need to decriminalize blackness and implement decarceral reforms to our criminally unjust criminal justice system.
- Legalize marijuana and end the war on drugs
- End tough-on-crime mass incarceration
- Address discriminatory and deadly policing
- Abolish the death penalty
- Eliminate cash bail
- Ban for-profit prisons
+ Native American Rights
Native Americans and tribal governments have rights which we must finally respect. This includes rights for Alaska Natives and Native Hawaiians and Pacific Islanders.
- Reject pipelines and other violations of Native American sovereign rights like the Dakota Access Pipeline (DAPL)
- Achieve justice for murdered and missing Native American women
- Treat the substance addiction crisis
- Offer new opportunities for equitable economic opportunity
+ Gender Justice
Ihssane will fight to protect abortion rights and will champion reproductive justice to address systemic inequalities.
- Protect funding for Planned Parenthood and reproductive health
- Repeal the Hyde and Helms Amendments
- Equal pay for equal work
- Support for programs that advance women and girls in this country and around the world
- Combat sexual assault in the military, on college campuses, and in the workplace and believe and support survivors
- Gender justice for the trans community
+ LGBTQ+ Rights
There remains so much more we need to do to guarantee true equality for the LGBTQ+ community, including nonbinary and intersex folx, and Ihssane will be a vocal ally and advocate.
- Ban conversion therapy nationwide
- Pass federal protections against discrimination for members of the LGBTQ+ community in employment, housing, credit, education, and adoption
- Stand up for trans rights and against Donald Trump’s unconstitutional and repugnant trans military ban and states violating transgender individuals’ right to use restrooms and locker rooms consistent with their gender identity
- End violence against the LGBTQ+ community and especially the most targeted subgroups like trans people of color
- Fund programs that house and support homeless LGBTQ+ youth
+ Disability Justice
Ihssane will fight to protect the civil rights of people with disabilities and will weigh how such things as plastic straw bans, curbing access to opioids, and even police violence uniquely affect their lives.
- Safeguard the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Social Security Disability
- End the subminimum wage
- Foster more independence for disabled people, including through passage of the Disability Integration Act
- Fully fund special education
- Support comprehensive home- and community-based services and an end to institutional bias
- Mandate accessibility compliance funds to exceed ADA standards in federally funded transit projects
+ Immigrant Rights and Immigration Reform
We need a humane border policy and an end to cruel family separations. As an immigrant herself, Ihssane will fight for a United States that lives up to the ideal that exists in the minds of people around the world who dream of a better life here.
- Welcome immigrants, refugees, and asylum seekers
- Reaffirm Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) and create an accompanying program for parents (DAPA)
- Provide a permanent pathway to citizenship for all undocumented immigrants
- Eliminate the immigration backlog
- Abolish ICE and dismantle the redundant and wasteful Department of Homeland Security
+ Puerto Rico
The people of Puerto Rico have been treated as second-class citizens of this country for too long. We must give them a real say in Puerto Rico’s future and do justice by Puerto Ricans on and off the island.
- Deliver overdue comprehensive disaster relief and recovery aid
- Investigate the disastrously inadequate response to Hurricane Maria
- Prepare an economic development and debt relief plan for Puerto Rico
+ Defending Servicemembers and Veterans
Ihssane believes in honoring the sacrifices of servicemembers, veterans, and their families by ensuring they are provided with the best care during and after their service.
- Hold the VA accountable while advocating for more investment, especially in expanding mental health services to treat trauma
- End veteran homelessness and aid veterans struggling to receive the health care, counseling services, and educational opportunities they need to transition back to civilian life
- Streamline the VA disability claim process for quicker service
+ Opioid Epidemic
We need accountability for pharmaceutical companies and executives that profited off flooding America with opioids, ravaging communities across our state.
- Prevention, treatment, recovery, and wraparound services that are trauma-informed and evidence-based
- Increase funding that supports training and research programs specializing in behavioral health and substance use
+ Gun Violence
The majority of guns used to commit crimes in states with strict gun laws like Massachusetts and Illinois come from other states with weaker laws, which is why action at the federal level is needed to combat the crisis of gun violence in this country.
- Implement expanded background checks
- Revive the ban on assault weapons and ban high-capacity magazines
- Break the political influence of the NRA
- Impose liability on gun manufacturers
- End the ban on the CDC studying the public health crisis that is gun violence in America
- Invest in victim services and suicide prevention policies funded by taxes on gun manufacturers
A Just Economy
Freeing people’s potential, alleviating income and wealth inequality, and fighting big Corporations
Guarantee every American access to reliable, high speed internet & protect consumers’ online rights to ensure shared prosperity in the 21st century.
- Ensure universal access to high-speed broadband internet
- Reinstate true net neutrality
- Protect consumers’ data and privacy rights
- Regulate and break up anti-competitive big tech companies
+ Entrepreneurship and Innovation
Create an economy that checks anti-competitive practices, encourages innovation, and allows local small businesses to grow and thrive.
- Support entrepreneurship and small business development
- Ensure a level playing field by strengthening and enforcing antitrust laws
- Reverse the trend of market consolidation that stifles innovation and harms consumers
+ Jobs and Wages
Ensure our economy protects the dignity of work by promoting unions, protecting workers’ rights, expanding workplace democracy, and guaranteeing that all workers be paid a living wage.
- Raise the federal minimum wage to a livable wage
- Champion strong unions and workers’ right to collective bargaining
- Encourage the development of worker-owned co-ops
- Require large corporations to have elected worker representation on their boards of directors, as is done with codetermination in Germany
- Ensure a just transition for displaced fossil fuel workers
- Create equity in legal protections for domestic and farm workers
- Guarantee paid vacation, sick time, and family and medical leave for all workers
Revamp our unjust tax code to create and enforce a system of taxation that ensures the wealthy and large corporations pay their fair share in taxes.
- Implement a progressive tax code that shifts more of the burden away from workers and over to the wealthy and big corporations who rely on them
- Increase the estate tax
- Enact a capital gains tax
- Close tax loopholes, strengthen enforcement, and bring an end to tax dodging
- Offer free automatic tax filing using information the government already collects
A Just World
Promoting Peaceful Cooperation and Sustainable Development
+ Diplomacy-First and Human Rights-Based Foreign Policy
It is time to transform America’s legacy of interventionism, and instead actively lead with a compassionate and principled diplomacy-first foreign policy rooted in human rights, democratic values, respect for international law, and moral clarity.
- Increase funding for foreign aid, emphasizing programs that benefit women and girls and alleviate extreme poverty
- Promote good governance, civil society, and press freedom to fight corruption
- Rebuild alliances and re-engage with and reform international institutions
- Champion nuclear nonproliferation and denuclearization
- Seek truth and reconciliation by apologizing for past injustices
- Push for the United States to finally sign and ratify the Rome Statute, the Convention on the Rights of the Child, the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women, the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea, the Mine Ban Treaty, the Convention on Cluster Munitions, the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty, and other important international treaties.
+ Peace-Oriented Defense
It is time for us to restore greater congressional oversight and military accountability, rein in defense costs and contractors, and understand that the United States is most secure when it is at peace.
- End America’s forever wars, and ensure that our military service-members and their field partners are recognized and provided with adequate rehabilitation resources
- Reduce military spending and stop short-changing long-term investments in education, infrastructure, health and other priorities
- Actively support diplomatic solutions to conflicts and take steps to prevent new military conflict
- Restore congressional oversight over military actions, and repeal the 2001 Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Terrorists (AUMF)
- Reaffirm the need for civilian leadership and an apolitical military
+ Environmental Justice, Clean Energy, and the Climate Crisis
We need to take bold, unapologetic action to stop the climate crisis, while ensuring that a new, green economy leaves no one behind.
- Declare a climate emergency and invest in Green New Deal policies which center marginalized communities and working people in the transition to a clean energy economy and carbon-neutral society
- Push for the United States to rejoin the Paris Climate Agreement and then negotiate a more ambitious and binding follow-on treaty
- Lead a massive investment in building green energy and transportation infrastructure, constructing a resilient 21st century green power grid, repairing and modernizing our crumbling public transit system, and greatly expanding ridership with fare-free public transit
- Reject all fossil fuel infrastructure, including pipelines
- Take global leadership by implementing a global Green Marshall Plan to help transition all nations to 100% clean renewable energy
- Ensure that marginalized, front-line, indigenous, Global South and poor communities are centered in the transition to clean economies and work to mitigate the disproportionate impact of already locked-in effects of climate change on these communities
+ National Security and Counter-Terrorism
We must protect all Americans against tangible and severe threats while preserving the human rights and individual liberties of all.
- Realign our national security strategy to address the greatest threats we face today: the climate crisis, white nationalist terrorism, attempts to undermine faith in our democracy, and cyber-attacks on critical infrastructure including elections systems
- Stop violence perpetrated by paramilitary militia groups and radicalized individual extremists
- Repeal surveillance legislation, including the Patriot Act, which infringe on Americans’ constitutional rights
+ Fair Trade
We need to champion trade deals which protect American workers and build a more resilient U.S. economy.
- Pursue strong environmental protections that limit pollution and emissions
- Enshrine stringent labor and safety protections that keep multinational corporations from skirting higher standards by relocating manufacturing
Make Your Voice Heard
Are you a constituent in the 4th congressional district? We need your voice to shape our agenda!